Saturday, February 23, 2013

Oh gee you silly goose!

 
About a week ago, the Squaw Creek Reserve posted on facebook that their numbers of geese went from over a million one week, to down to just over 100,000 in a little over a week.  They guessed it was the geese trying to be ahead of the front that came through our area late last week.
 
I was really amazed at this number, how SO MANY geese knew to leave. 
 
Later I was thinking about this number as I came home and looked up.  It's not often this time of year that you see no geese at all.  We even have a small grouping of snow geese that lives in the field across from our house this time of year, and even they were gone.
 
It seemed really strange and kind of eery for them to be gone.
 
Thursday the snow came, and although it struck Kansas City pretty hard, Maryville was fairly unscathed.  Yes, we had snow, but nothing major that we couldn't handle (about 4-5 inches).
 
Friday morning, that was a different story.  I woke up in the morning to a flock of geese flying over my house honking and it made me smile to know they were back.  Despite me thinking they were the worlds dumbest creatures (I never see them fly south, just "around"), I was wrong.  They knew when to come back when the coast was clear and they didn't need a meterologist to tell them to go clean the shelves of snow shovels, bread, milk and rock salt.
 
Friday, driving home from work, I see down my road not far from my house some movement.  It was a sea of white dots moving across the road and that's when I knew they were back, in full force. 
 
Walking up my steps I looked up again and some were flying so low it almost seemed like you could reach up and touch them.  A sea of geese everywhere.
 









 
So let me give you some advice.
 
Next time you see 3/4 of a million snow geese bugging out of town.  It's time to go buy milk.
 

1 comment:

LisaDay said...

Trust the animals. Love the shot of the geese with the moon.

LisaDay

Related Posts with Thumbnails