Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Discovering New Families - new friends



Being in a relationship has other benefits outside of just having a companion.

When I divorced a few years ago, part of my sadness was not just the loss at the chance of a working relationship, but also of a family that I had aquired by marriage. Sure, we are polite to each other because my children are their nephews, grandsons, and cousins, but it's not like it was.

So now that I meeting Gene's friends and family, I'm gaining lots of new people in my life. Gene has 2 brothers that are so sweet, both with wonderful wives. One niece and a another niece or nephew on the way!! There's children and beautiful grandchildren (trust me, you'll see pictures eventually) not to mention an awesome mom and dad. Dozens of people I didn't even know a year ago now slowly are becoming my family too.
In that fold, you have to include friends.

Bobby is one of Gene's closest friends since the FOURTH grade. How many people have one of those? Bobby beat up Gene. Gene beat up Bobby and they've been good friend ever since. (I will never understand men). Well, I've met Bobby a few times, never spent a huge amount of time with him until this past weekend. This guy, came all the way up here, just to help put a roof on the new house! No charge. wow. It was so hot, and it sucked SO BAD and I wasn't even on the hot, shingled roof. That's a true friend. No charge (well, except for some beer and a t-bone steak).

In the process I also found out what a funny, talented and nice guy he is. He's a keeper. Bobby is in a band (kinda by accident). Lead vocals. Not bad for an old guy.... LOL. JK JK!!

Roof is pretty much done (small bits and bats), Gene knows how to roof and it looks great. I hope we haven't used up the "good friend token" for life! LOL

Some pics of the guys roofing. Kind of darks but I've not mastered how to force the flash on my new camera yet!


I grew up in rural Iowa, but it's been a while since wildlife was within eyeshot of my front door (if you don't include stray cats and bunny rabbits). The FIRST day we went to look at the house we saw wild turkeys. Big selling point. This weekend, in the same spot, I saw NINE wild turkeys and just beyond them, in the same spot... two deer. Me? um, no camera. I was pissed.

Next day, I'm driving along, mid-day and thinking how it was too hot and no deer are out at midday grazing. Turn my head to the right and there's one 10 feet from the road! I did a U-turn and by the time I got back, she was taking off for the woods but not til I got a nice butt shot.

On a side note, I had never seen a wild turkey until last summer. For real... *never*. Weird for around here. Either they weren't around or I didn't know what I was looking for. Probably a bit of both!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails