Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What an egg with no shell looks like

Please file this under "things you don't see every day".

Some people don't know that sometimes chickens lay eggs with no shells. Heck I didn't know until chickens showed up at my house. What causes this? Well, mostly likely it's a lack of calcium. To fix the problem, you give the chickens oyster shell and it makes their shells harder and thicker. We don't seem to have that problem, but I will up their oyster shell a bit. We mainly feed their own shells back to them as their main form of calcium, and suprisingly, they love it!

I thought I'd share a few photos of what this egg looks like.
05-24-egg2

05-24-egg


This is a case where it's hard to translate what it's like, with just a photo, so I decided to share a little video with you. Excuse that it's a little out of focus, I have a tendancy to get too close. :/

(this is why I'm a photographer and not a videographer)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really freaky. I had no idea that was even possible. I kept waiting for it to pop under your poking!

Nina Diane said...

weird ... never heard of that

Related Posts with Thumbnails