Friday, October 7, 2011

Trash to Treasure - chalkboard frame formerly known as Jesus

So the other day, I was at a garage sale and found this cool picture of Ashton Kutcher....


10-7-jesus1
Oh calm down.

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that God has a great sense of humor or he wouldn't have given me powers of sarcasm. Either that or I'm going to hell.

So anyway, I really liked the frame Jesus/Ashton was in, but he's not a big seller. My original plan was to toss the picture but Gene about had a fit. Said it was tantamount to burning a flag.

*scratches head*

I decided that Jesus/Ashton still had to go, but being the recycler I am, I decided instead he'd still be there looking over everyone ... like usual (except Charlie Sheen. I'm pretty sure Charlie is going to hell).... instead of tossing the pic, I'd secretly turn him into a chalkboard.

Easy peasy.


(forgive me father for I have sinned....)

10-7-jesus2
First I had to remove the weird brackets on the back to get the pic out. It was printed on a super heavy duty cardboard material that I thought would hold up well to paint.


10-7-jesus3
Look how purdy it frames the junk in my living room and the island that needs cleaned off!

My original intent was to paint the frame, but I really liked the color that it already was. If I were going to paint it, I would probably be my go-to turquoise blue color in which I probably should just buy a case of spray paint.


10-7-jesus4
I bought a quart of chalkboard paint at the wallsmart. $9.97!! Crazy. Imagine how annoyed I was when I found out you can add some sanded grout to latex paint and it will do the exact same thing. That must be what I found in the bottom of the paint in a huge lump.


10-7-jesus5
You must use a nappy brush to paint your surface. I think that I would have been just as fine with a pad brush instead.


Wait for it to dry, pop the pic back in and voila!


10-7-jesus6

See how simple that was?

And Jesus/Ashton didn't have to go to the evil landfill. He also watches you from his secret cloaking device.

Always judging you.
Keeping you in line.

win win!


Frame: $1.00
Paint: $10.00 (can use on a multitude of projects, so I will call this $1.00)
chalk: .97 (I had some I'd kept for probably 5 years. Finally tossed it about a month ago. sigh.

Grand total: around $3.00
Skill level? A blind monkey could do this.... so I only had a moderate level of difficulty!

Share your trash to treasure links!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails