Friday, January 20, 2012

How to make a munchkin omlet

We have just come out on the other side of our first molting season with the chickens. What this means is that the chickens will grow a new set of feathers, or part of their feathers. They might even get nearly nakie in the process (brrrrr). However, ours did not. Just your standard naked chicken backs.

In the process of growing a new set of feathers, the chickens have to save most of their energy for feathers, not much left over for eggs.  It was a frustrating couple months as our egg production went from 10-12 a day, down to 1-2 a day.  We almost lost our our egg clients!

So finally a few weeks ago, our daily egg count started to rise again, which is almost as egg-citing (har) as that first egg.  But kind of like that first egg that you'll get, sometimes a little weird one will pop up.

This time it was a super mini.


1-20-egg1

It was about 1/4 of the size of a regular egg, not much bigger than my thumb.  I felt confident there was no yolk in there.  Of course, I couldn't sell it to someone else, so we saved it until it was time to have Saturday morning breakfast.



1-20-egg2

Yep, no yolk.  Not much of a breakfast either.

Only a couple months until chicks show up!  Nope, we're not hatching our own this year (well, if they want to maybe).  We're going to buy chicks again to raise a new set!  Yay!

Boo chicken dust and chicken poop in the house.
:/

6 comments:

Joanne said...

Adorable! I love learning about the chickens. Makes me want to get a few.

Pam said...

If I lived nearby, you would have another customer. I love fresh eggs. So much better than the ones at the grocery store.

Nicki said...

Clearly I did not spend enough time on my great-grandparent's chicken farm (we're talking hundreds) because I don't recall any mini-eggs or the molting season for that matter - only the poor chicken selected to be "fattened up" for dinner. I had the misguided idea that it was a "pet" because I would help give it 'extra portions' of feed. But then I got to witness it being killed; something you never forget. I will admit that I miss the fresh eggs (as well as all the other wonderful food my great-grandmother cooked).

Mz-Cellaneous said...

Nicki...
If your grandparents were slaughtering chickens for dinner, they probably never made it to molting season. Most chickens will molt when they hit about 18 months old. Most people slaughter chickens when they're in the 6 month range. When I was little, it was no big deal to see my mom/grandma slaughter chickens, but for some reason I can't handle it now. My chickens are all spoiled. LOL.

Michelle said...

Hi Nicki - I just wanted to let you know that I gave you a blog award. Please head over to my site to see it.

LisaDay said...

I prefer the chocolate mini egg variety.

LisaDay

Related Posts with Thumbnails