Thursday, March 15, 2012

I dreamed of being a Gunne Sax girl

When I was a kid, there was this store in my home town, it was called Turners.  Turners was pretty amaze-balls considering that it was such a little town and it was a (mostly) clothing store that actually had some current fashions.

It also had a dreamy selection of expensive fabrics that I rarely got to buy. (I've sewn since I was about 12).

Turners was a little pricey.  Usually out of the price range for my fairly poor self.  No, we weren't eating dirt, but we didn't have a lot of extra money to spend on something as unconventional as fancy dresses and "high end" pretties.

Around the time I was in junior high/high school, the craze ran through the local fashion of "Gunne Sax".  Remember those?


03-15-gunnesax

Yes my friends, we clothed ourselves in pretty calico dresses with lace and ribbons in apparently some attempt to look like Laura Ingalls.

*on purpose*

Yeah, I have no idea why either.

If you didn't find the dress or shirt you wanted, there were always patterns available so you could make your own!  Complete with matching Gunne Sax fabric in the back of Turners.


03-15-gunnesax2

BUT, you were nothing unless you had a Gunne Sax dress. Girls were wearing them to dances and I seethed with jealousy.

I would go to the back of the store when I had a chance, and finger the fabrics, touching each bolt, pulling them out to check the price on the end of every bolt but most of the time the fabric itself was out of my price range - which was zero dollars.

Then one day, I was looking through the racks and ran across a pretty gunne sax top for a few bucks.   It was long sleeved with a high collar.  Ruffles around the collar and sleeves.  Cream colored with blue flowers.  So "Little House on the Prairie" it was sickening.  I think it was $7.00. Finally in my price range!

No idea where I might have had the money to buy it.  I always seemed to have a few bucks and I was (and still am) the best bargain shopper.

I loved that top and wore it at least once a week, twice if I could get away with it.  I even had my class photo taken in it.

I don't know what ever happened to it.  Probably ended up in my grandma's quilt fabric bag.  I should check my quilts to see if I have a swatch.

I wanted to share that photo with you, but can't find it!  (i'll share when I do someday).  In the meantime, enjoy this photo of me in high school with a skeleton instead.

Check out the hair... business in the front, party in the back.
I also rocked that belt and pearls. 


03-15-gunnesax3

PS.  I still have that letterman's jacket.  I loved that thing.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I remember Gunne Sax. The ads in the mags made they look alot hotter and in vogue than they look on the dress form.That is one of those things that is really hard to explain to your kid why it was cool. I've run into a few of those hard to explain moments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails