Monday, March 19, 2012

I have a "special sock"

I have a special sock. 

No... not a "special sock" you big weirdo.

It's just a sock that I use regularly.  You see, Gene and I have a gas fireplace in our bedroom we use for heat.  It works REALLY well btw if you were wondering, sometimes it gets really hot in there.

And the fireplace makes it really warm too.
;)

(haha.  sorry to the relatives that just read that.)

Anyway, a couple years ago Gene had surgery on 2 hernias and we ended up spending the entire summer together because he couldn't work. 

I only wanted to kill him 14 times. 

It was a magical summer.

When he was in the hospital, they gave him some socks.  They are ugly.  Gray with some rubberized marks on the bottom so when he got up to walk down the hallways, he wouldn't fall down and break a hip or something.  Which ended up being a real possibility.

When he went home, they sent the socks home with him.  Quickly one disappeared leaving us with one lonely rubberized sock.

What does this have to do with the fireplace?  Well let me explain.  Sleeping in the bedroom with a fireplace is vavoomromantic, but it's also a pain in the arse when you want to go to sleep. 

You see light and shadows dancing across the ceiling all. night. long.
Even through your eyelids.  Which makes sleeping kind of a challenge.

Gene came up with using a sock as an eye shade.  BRILLIANT!  He, however, quickly moved on to a night mask - which I don't know why I didn't buy me one too, I just didn't get around to it.

I started using gray sock as my night shade and now I have a hard time sleeping without it!!

Rubberized feety part sticks to my face and helps it from sliding off.  (I never thought I'd say that sentence.)  It's long and covers my whole dang head from ear to ear and it's super thick so no light will sneak in.

But the amusing part is when I lose it somewhere in the middle of the night.  Trying to find gray sock in a bed of quilts, sheets, pillows and a glass man is frustrating.

Maybe I should put a little strap on gray sock to make a mask or pin him to my pajamas like a note on a kindergartner.

Summer is coming - spring is most definitely here - and there's no longer a need for a fireplace in the bedroom for heat. 

In the meantime, it's time to wean myself from gray sock.

Someone hold me.

03-16-socks

2 comments:

Angela Hemming said...

This is hilarious. "I only wanted to kill him 14 times." I can relate!

Amy Jo said...

Amen to sometimes killing husbands. I'm a horrible sleeper. Must be pitch black and quiet. Not too quiet though (have to run the air purifier to block out the quiet) so I totally understand the sock. Plus, cotton is way better than sweaty satin on your eyeballs. Love the pics at the end you silly goon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails