Cuz you you know, I'm a girl.
I explained the old rules (or just one rule at the time) to Tanner. "See a beetle, punch a friend".
It kinda caught on.
It took a little nudging, but I got Gene in on the act, and before you know it we'd just be sitting there chatting in the car and someone would say "SLUG BUG!" and you'd get thwapped. Sometimes hard.
So here we are, a year later and the rules of slug bug have developed on their own.
1. It's called slug bug, not punch buggy as the word "buggy" makes me irrationally angry. Don't ask, I don't know why either.
2. First one to call it gets the point.
3. Ties each get a point.
4. Miscall a slug bug (DAMN HHRs ... GRRR) and lose 2 points!
5. Convertibles are 2 points.
6. Vintage beetles are 2 points.
Of course, Gene sometimes makes up rules as he goes, like you have to call the color too, or that the first one to 10 wins. But mainly he tries to get a couple bonus points because he has to drive.
Recently on our trip to Minnesota we came up with rule #7.
7. Vintage convertibles are 3 points!
I proclaimed that this will be rare and is the holy grail.
Less than an hour later, Tanner slug bugs me for 3 points.
I missed a photo, but the NEXT DAY, Gene spots one while out and about.
I got slug bugged again.
Some people just can't appreciate a fine slugger.
Who else plays slug bug?