Thursday, December 30, 2010

Thursday Sparks - FREE* online learning

I've learned that the best way to learn something new, is to just try it and see what happens, evaluate what you did wrong, and try again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

However, sometimes we just don't even know where to start in our learning process. Then, in walked youtube. Before you knew it, we had millions of people out there not only taking videos of themselves doing stupid people tricks, but also, teaching others new things (besides stupid tricks).

Case in point, I recently got Photoshop CS4 and I knew that it would be a long time before I was proficent in it's use. I didn't know some of the very basics.... so I googled them! Not only will you find lots of links to almost every question imaginable, but usually there's a video to fit the bill too.

This is just one great video by Tutorvid.com You could go there, but they also have a channel on youtube.


Another place I've been visiting to watch different types of learning videos is netflix. Your subscription can include live streaming video. Not only do they have War of the Worlds (puke) and Sweet Home Alabama (yay), they have many different videos in the documentary/learning category. I included documentaries in this as I enjoy watching these shows on different types of photographers. For example, the other day I watched the President's Photographer and learned a lot, not just about technique, but on the inner workings of the President's photographer's day.

There are other types of videos too, I just punched in the word "painting" and pulled up approximately a dozen videos on painting techniques that you can live stream. Your mileage may vary depending on your hobby... I also put in "crochet" and netted nothing.

*While netflix isn't free, it is very cost effective and you will have access to videos that you can't find on Youtube or even in your own video store. (Do they even have video stores anymore?)

So when you find yourself wishing you knew how to play the viola, I suggest you hit up youtube and fill your heart's desires.


Note: Netflix, youtube, tutorvid, etc did not pay me to say any of this. I wish they did, but I'm a big nobody so *wahhhhh* I want my mommy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails