Thursday, July 23, 2009

Worldwide Photo Walk

The past few days have been a blur, I'll explain that in another post, but in the meantime, I want to show you what I was doing on Saturday.

07-23-photowalk10

For the second year, Scott Kelby (famous photographer) coordinated a worldwide photo walk. Basically, groups of photographers all over the world get together, socialize, then go on a walk and photograph all the things they find along the way.

I really wanted to go last year, but had no one to go with me. To be honest, I didn't think Gene would be all that excited about July heat, architecture and camera talk.

So this year rolls around again, and I still want to go, but still, no takers on going with me from the few photographers I know. So I got to thinking about other fun and creative ppl I know and I thought of this girl:

07-23-photowalkamy1

This is Amy. Amy was a former bride of mine, plans change, and the wedding didn't happen (and that's ok!), but through it, we stayed in touch, mostly via facebook. Amy is literally half my age. *sigh*. It's weird how much we have in common, and how we look at most of the world in the same way. She is much "older and worldly" than most young women her age. We discussed my theory on this later on our ride home.

Amy has a point and shoot, and she's very creative. She got some wonderful shots (I'll share her entries at the end of this post).



07-23-photowalk9

Originally, I intended to join the walk in the Riverwalk district, but because I waited so long, it was full, but lucky for me, a second KC walk opened up! This one in the plaza.



07-23-photowalk8

I've never actually walked around the plaza. In the 21 years I've lived in Missouri I've only driven through it. And to be fair, I've never seen the plaza lights at Christmas either.



07-23-photowalk7

We had tons of fun looking for little detail shots. We immediately split from the group. Not that I didn't want to socialize with the others, because there were some really nice people, but because when you put 50 photographers in one area, it's going to be hard to get something unique from the others.

I'll be honest, I was annoyed before we even left JC Nichols fountain that I'd see a shot, and someone else would see me take it and step over and take the same shot. grr.

LOL



07-23-photowalk6

It really was asymetric day. I'm not asymetric kinda gal either.

All day we were looking for asymetric and repetive patterns and took hundreds of shots. In fact, by the end there'd be a "I saw it first!"



07-23-photowalk5

I was so surprised at all the little details in this place.

Sure there's the obvious places that you'd think of, storefronts, lanterns, flowers, etc. But then you see the little details like tiles in alleyways and wrought iron gates covering the back entrance to a shop.



07-23-photowalk4

And everything is so bright and colorful there.

Including the people.



07-23-photowalk3

In fact, we ate there, and on the way back after eating dinner, the entire group of people had changed. Those that were there earlier were obviously wealthy individuals. Later, there seemed to be a lot more "colorful" people. Many of the eyeballing my very expensive telephoto lens (no one gave it a second look earlier). It was enough for me to say "I'm uncomfortable, let's go and watch to make sure no one follows us to the car."



07-23-photowalk2

No one did, but we did discuss self defense methods on the way to the car.



07-23-photowalk1

On the way home, we talked about everything. Boys, life, religion, I even listened intently to Amy's high standards to what friendship means. And I AGREE. She then listened quietly to *my* 20 minute disertation about friendship. She also listened to me swear some. *sorry amy* :)


07-23-photowalk11

Overall, we had a really great time. I plan on going and doing it again. I'm glad I did because I was having an AWFUL DAY, and really considered just canceling it, but Amy seemed so excited, and I really needed to get out of the house!



07-23-photowalk12

We talked a lot about art, and decided that we'd go back to the Nelson Atkins art museum, I've not been there for 20 something years, Amy's not been there for like 3 something years.

*sigh*



07-23-photowalktomfool

I mentioned that we ate out. The end of the walk was at Tomfooleries. I've come to the conclusion that Tomfooleries is the DEVIL hell bent on making me fat.

Waffle fries - to die for! Amy offered me hers. I seriously considered it, until I realized I wouldn't be able to fit behind the steering wheel if I didn't STOP THE MADNESS.

I'm going back someday tho, and I'm having a double order of waffle fries.



07-23-photowalktomfool2

What I won't have, is the peanut butter bacon burger, or the burger with an over easy egg on top.

Despite the fact that I LOVE peanut butter, AND over easy eggs.


07-23-photowalkamy4

It was fun having someone there to take photos of when I needed a "subject".



07-23-photowalkamy3

I wish I would have made her wear a prom dress or a big funny hat. lol



07-23-photowalkamy2

This is our reinactment of the scene from "Breakfast at Tiffany's" I really wish we had a bagel at that moment. yes, it's Tiffany & Co. Look at the little sign.


Here are Amy's entry into the contest:

07-23-Inter-city-Eden

{Inner City Eden}



07-23-Why-the-long-face

{Why the long face?}


The horse is my favorite. In fact, for the whole day, between the 2 of us, it's still my favorite. I hope she wins!

Did I mention there's a contest? Yep, there is. Each person can enter 2 photos. and my 2 will come out of the above photos. I have not decided which ones yet. (less the tenderloin and the portraits)

Opinions?

Did you participate? Link your photos!

3 comments:

Brandy said...

Fantastic photos! :) That's something me and my hubby would LOVE to do! One of these days when all 3 of our kids are in school, we want to do this in Boston!! :) Glad you decided to go!!

Delightful Dwelling said...

Wow, great photos, thanks for sharing. This sounds like something fun to do.

Amy Jo said...

I just reread this post and the Bridal Twist one. I miss you. Still love every shot you take. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails