Friday, January 14, 2011

I'm here... I got my quirk on

I like to decorate. I always have, although I wouldn't say I'm the best at it, it's fun making my "space" unique and different from anyone else's anywhere. My style is somewhat eclectic. At best you could call it "quirky".

I no longer buy things from Target or somesuch to add to my house. Most things are found in antique stores or flea markets and so on. I love to find those really cool one-of-kind pieces. I thought it might be fun to share with you some of my very favorite quirky stuff.

01-14-quirk1

1. This is absolutely one of my favorite pieces ever. It's a handmade lunchbox. I don't know who C. Lundy is, but I can tell you it's not from 1851. It's probably around 1951 instead. Beautiful pine, with faux finish on it. Apparently Mr. Lundy loved fishing too.

Closer inspection shows a photo on the front. I'm assuming it's Mr. Lundy. He's a shoe shine man!

Love love! And it was only $10. I walked by it a couple times and couldn't stop thinking about it so I had to get it. I do absolutely nothing with it. :p Like most containers I have, nothing is inside. Weird.

01-14-quirk2



01-14-quirk6


#2. A bird's nest in a branch. I've had this for several years now. I think it makes a cool accent piece in my living room. It's fallen off the wall 900 times by people bumping it (mostly me) and that little nest is still hanging on. Well done lil' birdy! $3.00 at an antique mall.

#3. Our wagon with a fighting cowboy and Indian. The wagon came first. It has amazing detail. No idea if it's hand made or what, but we fell in love with it and had to have it. The cowboy and indian just really struck me, and when I got them home, well, they were the perfect size. There's a whole cowboy western going on right there on my bar. Wagon: $40.00 at an antique show. Cowboy/Indian $5.00 (I think each) at a different antique show.

#4. My Hobo Horse. I saw this at an antique show/flea market and fell in LOVE. Gene hates it but he indulges too. It's considered tramp art as it was supposedly made by a hobo with found materials. In reality, tramp art is usually just dad/grandpa making due with what they had available. The top unlocks to a hidden chamber inside. I talked the guy down from $65 to $45.

#5. Our vietnamese bow and arrow set. *they are real* the arrows are kinda scary. I need to get this hung on the wall. I've just been avoiding it because I have to rearrange my entire wall to make them fit! $30.00 at an antique mall.


01-14-quirk

#6. My silver tea set (plated for the record). I love this because it was my wedding gift from Gene. The little bird salt and pepper shakers I added later. I think he paid around $50 for the tea set, and the salt and pepper shakers I can't remember for sure, I think $10.00

#7. My lamp made from surveyor's tripod. Nope, not an antique. It's the first "big" purchase I made after my divorce. I just saw it and fell in love. I still love it but it takes up a lot of space for a floor lamp! (I have a lamp fetish fyi). Bought at a good old furniture store - that's now out of business. $80.00


01-14-quirk7


#8. My suggestion box. There better not be any SUGGESTIONS in there. Grr. I just loved the wood grain on this and the cute lock (it's unlocked - no key) $10.00 at antique mall.

#9. Old red baby cowboy boots. I orginally intended to resell these but I love them too much to let them go. Mint condition. CUTE as a button. $5.00 at antique show.



01-14-quirk4

#10. My leaf plate. Empty here but always has some misc crap in it. I'm trying to think of a way to display it on a wall so that doesn't happen anymore! It's kinda big, over a foot long. $14.00 at an antique mall.

#11. My hand painted folk art jar. I really love folk art, it's one of those things that you either love or you hate. If it's well done, it just looks "special". This piece really jumped out at me. $8.00 at an antique mall.


01-14-quirk3

#12 - An old plate from a steak restaurant ($4.00 at an antique mall) and a set of serving knife/fork - $10.00 (I think). These hang in my kitchen. I love the handles on the serving pieces.

#13 - our latest acquisition. A globe! I found it yesterday at an antique mall. The globe itself is all inset gemstones. How cool is that!? As soon as my bar/library is done, it will go on one of the shelves. I've needed a globe for a long time. I'll be honest, I'm not very savvy when it comes to the world geography, so now when I hear something on the news, I can visually see where we're talking about. A steal at $30! (I've found them online for around $200)

As you can see, we find pretty darn good deals. That means I've also walked past a whole lot of stuff that I thought was equally as incredible, but more appropriately priced too. (ie: too expensive for my tastes). If I don't hit the powerball, that might be a good thing, god is watching out for me. lol.

In the next few weeks, I'm going to bring you a NEW FEATURE here! Trash to Treasures! I recently shared a post about my dresser makeover and it was a huge hit. I realized this is something I really enjoy doing so I thought I'd share more of my redecorating on the cheap pieces.

Like to decorate? Please share your links!

4 comments:

Nina Diane said...

I have those little silver bird salt and pepper shakers! When we were cleaning out my MIL's house after she passed, we found those in the china cabinet...they're very cute

geek details said...

I covet your tripod lamp. those things are awesome!

I too decorate with things not usually bought at places like target. It gives a house personality (imo of course).

LisaDay said...

I am impressed when people have an eye for things.

I look forward to your new feature.

LisaDay

Anonymous said...

I love, love the hobo horse and tripod lamp! Great finds!

Related Posts with Thumbnails