Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Going to... Kansas City... Kansas City here I come!

Last week Gene and I discussed going on a weekend getaway. You know, to Des Moines or Omaha or something.

Sexy.

I really wasn't feeling it to be honest. Like I said... "sexy" {sarcasm}

So Friday afternoon, I remembered that Gene has been wanting to go to Nelson-Atkin Museum of Art (yes, he did), and I've never seen the Plaza lit up at Christmas. I suggested that we go on Saturday, and he accepted my invite. He also then suggested that we just make a weekend of it.

Alright. I'm in.




12-7-kc

We ended up at the Hyatt Regency downtown, on the 30th floor with this view of KC and Hallmark Crown Center. (more of a review on the hotel tomorrow)




But first, we ate lunch at a place I've been to once before. Tomfooleries. It's a cute place, with reasonable priced food... and trains that ride around the rafters:


12-7-kc24


Our waitress was so friendly, and reminded us that on saturdays, the burgers were half price. That's all she had to say. lol. So I had this lovely number:


12-7-kc25

A bacon cheeseburger... but what is that weird sauce?

Oh, it's just peanut butter.

Yes, you can get a peanut butter bacon burger! Chalk that up as the most unique burger I've ever had. It was actually *really good*. I will say, that I had to drink a lot more while eating tho. The peanut butter was sticky and made it hard to swallow.

After lunch, we walked some of it off by shopping on the Plaza. For some odd reason, I couldn't talk Gene into getting me that Rolex I've been wanting. WTH?

We finally made it to the museum and trust me, by this point I was glad I'd stopped and bought some new tennis shoes. Museums and sore feet don't mix. *huge tactical error on my part*



12-7-kc23








12-7-kc22

We stayed until the shut the place down.






12-7-kc18

Back to the plaza to see the lights, and wow, was the traffic bad. I know it took ever bit of composure Gene has, not to flip out a couple times. (he's not a traffic sorta guy). We went down a bad road.... twice. :p




12-7-kc17

I'm not sure it was super worth it. Sorry. The lights were really pretty, and I would have loved to take more pics, but the traffic was so horrible I just wanted out of there.





12-7-kc15

On the way back to the hotel, we found a parking spot so we went off to see the skating rink at the Crown Center plaza. That kinda made up for not getting to stop and get out at the Plaza. They have the hugest tree, which you could see from our hotel room window.



12-7-kc20






12-7-kc9

And the fountain... with lights.





12-7-kc8

And rows and rows of lit trees.



Then off to dinner at Skies, which is the rotating restaurant on top of the hotel we stayed at.

12-7-kc3

You get a 360 view of the entire city. It travels around 2 feet a minute and takes approximately 1.5 hours to rotate completely. Our reservation wasn't until 9:30, but it was soooo worth the wait!






12-7-kc11

Bistro Pepper crusted Sirloin for Gene



12-7-kc4

Bacon wrapped chicken with burgandy portobello sauce for me.





And this dreamy number:

12-7-kc2

That green stuff is lima bean hummus and man, it was yummy!!


To top it off:

12-7-kc5

Sky High Pie... which is really Haagen Dazs ice cream, but a LOT of it, in a pie form. Man, it was yummy... cept chocolate. I didn't eat that part. bleh.


12-7-kc14

I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say *bet date EVER* (so far). Awesome food, great company, beautiful view. 4 stars!

12-7-kc12

What? How the hell did that get in here?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails