Wednesday, June 30, 2010

She has a story to tell

When we worked in Kansas City, each morning we'd get up at the butt crack of dawn, which for the record, for me is around 5:15 a.m., get ourselves around and head out the door around 6:15 so we'd be to work before 8.

It was a long ride. We needed entertained.

Entertainment came in the form of a radio host called "Johnny Dare". Some of you locals probably have heard of him. He's described as a shock jock, but really, he's just more like a teenage boy in a 41 year old's body.

Anyway, he goes on vacation and comes back to tell an interesting story. He had taken his dog Barger and himself, along with his Jeep and drove west. He is in Utah if I remember correctly and photographing rock formations when he stumbles upon a rattle snake. He uses his tripod and a rock wall to "jump" over the snake, dog in arms.

But for me, that wasn't the interesting part of the story. The most interesting part, was how he told that they just drove and took photos.

I instantly started thinking about what an adventure that could be. Setting out due west with no real "plan". Taking photos of what life presents you along the way. That has stuck with me for several years.

So when we went to S. Dakota, one of the things that really fascinated me were the animals. As you know, I love me some chickens, and I have this unusual cow fetish. Apparently other people have noticed this. But what I don't see enough of, is the wild.





06-29-critters2


It all started innocent enough.



We were driving into Devils Monument, and I spotted a deer. I wanted to take a few pics so we stopped where we weren't supposed to. I got out and slowly started walking, thinking that they would bolt any second. But that didn't happen. I creeped closer and closer, shooting off a photo ever 15 seconds.



Adrenaline.


06-29-critters1


I had gotten closer to a wild deer, and gotten the best photos of one I ever have in my life.






06-29-critters3


I just wanted to sit down in the grass and watch her and the sun sparkle off of her whiskers.


But alas, we were in trouble. We had stopped in a no stopping area. Oops. Otherwise, they were pretty ok with me being out in the park, harassing the "locals"





06-29-critters4


We saw the prairie dogs, and again, I got out, getting closer and closer. They make hilarious warning noises. What you can't see is when they throw their arms in the air and scream *eeeeeEEEE!*




06-29-critters5

I kept wondering if my face was going to get ate off, but I lucked out.



The next day, we went to Custer State Park. It's well known for it's herds of buffalo.



06-29-critters14

Now, to be honest, the buffalo is one of the few animals I'm really really scared of. It's a funny story of when my ex and I were at a drive through animal park in Branson. As we crossed a tiny "bridge", a buffalo was a foot from my side of the door. We crept by him, but apparently it ticked him off so he head butted our car! I screamed! I peed my pants a little and wanted my mommy. (ok not that last part)

It left only a small dent, but I did get a chuckle out of telling people the dent was put there by a buffalo.

Since then, I've been a little paranoid.

Forgive me.

06-29-critters6

Even that didn't stop me. I wanted to get some real Americana, up close shots.



06-29-critters7

I didn't even die in the process!



Throughout the park we saw other critters:



06-29-critters13






06-29-critters8

Pronghorn antelope







06-29-critters12

Wild turkey (what you don't see is the wild deer that was messing with the turkey!)

We missed the burros and I'm sure many other critters.

Later, we saw some wild bunnies:



06-29-critters11




06-29-critters9

I want to kiss his face.




But I'm kind glad I missed this:

06-29-critters10

Whew. I'm pretty cool with that.


Where am I going with this?

Well a couple weeks ago, I talked about a sign, and how I felt like I'd been given a sign. That sign was this trip. No, it wasn't a rattlesnake sign (thank God), it was a sign that I should be doing something else.

Don't get your panties in a twist. I'm not giving up blogging, or photography, or even weddings. I like shooting people, but I realized that I LOVE shooting animals and nature and the great outside! While I was there, I really wanted to just sit for hours and watch and photograph, but I couldn't because I had an impatient glass man with me, and well, I don't really blame them. Watching me photograph a deer for 3 hours probably would get boring no?

My mind wandered back to the story of Johnny, taking his camera and his adventure across the country. The plans started to form in my head and before I got home, I was talking about a second trip.

Alone.

Me, a long lens, my jeep, (probably a pistol), and an adventure.

I just feel like something is missing, like I have a story I need to tell. Like a sabbatical of some sort.

The tentative plans are already in the works. Well, the plans in my head anyway. Nothing is concrete but I'm feeling like next summer I'll be traveling west again looking for a story. I don't know what that story is, and I don't know how it will be told. Will it be just some blogging? Will it be a private book? or will it be something bigger?

I don't know the answers to any of those questions yet, but when I do, you'll be the first to know.

5 comments:

LisaDay said...

Those were great photos particularly of the baby buffalo (calf?). It sounds like a great idea. Good luck. And please avoid the battlesnakes.

LisaDay

Dharma said...

Lana...that is so inspired. I am reminded of the saying "follow your bliss". I'm excited for you, really. I'm excited FOR you. Love the shots and can't wait to see how this plan comes together. Some of the best trips and times I've ever had in my life, I have been alone.

www.quackandquill.com said...

I love the baby buffalo and even more, the buffalo peppering the plains ... wow!

Janice Grinyer said...

#1 happy birthday...youre like what, 28 now?

#2 you are welcome to stay with us in SE Montana next year on your journey. We have a guest bedroom and there are plenty of photo shots just on the back 40...(where the sage grouse are) But only if you bring a dozen non-poisonous eggs and a bottle of wine.

#3 everyone needs an adventure now and then - it reminds you why you live! And I think your idea is terrific; and your men will enjoy the non-women time in the house lol...

Jill said...

You're lucky the butt crack of dawn comes at 5:15. Here, 5:15 is normal wake up time, and when butt crack rises early it's 4:00 or 4:30. ICK! That's not even daytime!

BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL pictures!!!!!

And hey! We do that every summer! Except, I use a point and shoot and mostly take pictures of ridiculous signs. Nowhere near your pictures, not close. Still fun though. :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails