Thursday, September 2, 2010

The games that chickens play

We have kind of an odd hobby. A pasttime if you will....


07-15-chickenwatching


Chicken watching.

Yeah I know.. we're sad, lonely, boring people. It's ok, I'd rather spend my beer money on chicken feed. I'm cool like that.

So every once in a while, we gather up the lawn chairs, sit out in the yard and just watch the chickens "interact". There's a whole world going on in front of you, a social hierarchy of dominate over submissive. Of strong versus the weak. Of the hungry versus the more hungry. More hungry usually ALWAYS wins. But here's the deal, chickens are ALWAYS HUNGRY. How many skinny chickens have you seen in your life.. really?

07-31-begging1


We have found that they love the bread game. This is the game where we bring them bread, and they eat it.

Exciting isn't it?

Actually, it's more like, "OmGGGGG.. you have breeeeead!! Please can I have some pleasepleasepleasePLEASE!" Then we throw them out in bits and watch the mayhem. Ever feed a little bit of food to the koi in the pond at the zoo? Well, those koi have nothing on these chickens. Bread=Godiva chocolates to chickens.


It goes something like this:


07-31-begging3

"Ohhh.. whatcha got there? That looks interesting. Might I get a little closer?"



07-31-begging4

"POW!"



07-31-begging2

"Chicken got ya bread... cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck"


Lather Rinse Repeat.
900 times.


How do my chickens not way 67 pound each?
Delicious 67 pounds. mmmm.

4 comments:

LisaDay said...

It's true. I have never seen a skinny chicken and now I know why. I blogged about you today.

LisaDay

Flat Creek Farm said...

Haha! I would much rather sit and watch chickens all day long than most activities of late. The bread game - how adorable. I love how mine hop straight up to pull their cooked spaghetti out of my hands. I am so easily amused, I tell ya ;) Great chicken photos!! -Tammy

Unknown said...

I love it! Thanks for sharing and the wonderful photos. You have a gift for capturing chickens.

Carrie said...

Love these photos! They give the chickens so much personality. I had a beagle that loved bread, so much so that she would snatch it right out of your hand as you brought it to your mouth. Guess she took after your chickens!

Related Posts with Thumbnails