Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Let the magic begin!

Well, that long winter is over (knocking on wood), and things are turning green everywhere. Last time we talked about the "amazing royal empress trees" they were getting big and fat last fall.

Then they died off for winter.

And then voles moved in.

I thought for sure that if anything was going to kill them, it would be those damn voles. (I'm on a vole killing mission btw. I think I'm winning).

I noticed that all I really had were a couple of tall dead sticks, and had about given up hope.


04-06-empress1



But then while on my daily tree inspection (which I guess is just a hobby at this point), I noticed some tiny buds at the base.

04-06-empress2

I'm excited to see what happens.

So I did what all the websites keep telling me to do:

04-06-empress3

I cut it off.

Supposedly, this will cause the tree to grow rapidly and very straight. When I say rapidly, they claim up to 20 feet in one year. All I know, at this point it's just a source of entertainment and a big giant science experiment.

I'll keep you updated.

If you are growing an empress too, leave a link to any photos!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Thank you for following my blog. I love your blog. I remember seeing your project 365 and wanted to co the same. My daughter still has to help me with the computer to do it though.

Related Posts with Thumbnails