Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Meet my Roo

Hercules the Hercu-chicken



This is Hercules, my rooster.

I was hell bent on naming him Rocky ala "Chicken Run" (love that movie) but sometimes critters have a way of naming themselves.

When we bought the chicks, we had the chicken whisperer sex the chickens for us and we told him we wanted two roosters. It didn't take us long to figure out for sure, that ONE rooster is in the bunch. (maybe two... we'll find out soon!)

Anyway, he quickly outgrew everyone else and was double their size. We started calling him Hercu-chicken and it just sort of went from there. Hence, Hercules. He's already protective of the girls. I ran the vacuum the other day and the girls all ran to the corner, but Hercules ran over and puffed up to the vacuum.

I can't keep the rest of the chickens straight. So we just call them "chick chick" or "HUSH!!"

Did I mention I'm really excited for them to go outside to their coop?

In related news, the ducks got upgraded. I have felt so guilty they are living in nothing but a tub and they are WAY TOO BIG for it. So I emptied the wading pool I bought them and it's sitting on my dining room table surrounded by boxes.

(Don't worry, it's not like I actually eat there!)

They don't know what to think of it.

Come to think of it, me neither.

Oh... btw,

Post #750. Go me.

News tomorrow! I'll share as early as possible. BTW, here's a hint.... tomorrow is Earth Day.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

A pool and the dining room table I love it.

Mallory said...

I just found your blog after reading the News-Press story and I LOVE it. I too love photography ... and gardening. I wish I could have chickens but my husband frowns on the idea of free range chickens in our tiny yard in the middle of town. Hmm. :)

Do you guys sell eggs?

Unknown said...

He is adorable and looks like a Hercules!

Related Posts with Thumbnails