Monday, April 19, 2010

Struck by a rainbow. Twice

Yesterday, we were all outside, working in the sun, not too hot, not too cool. The sun was shining brightly, and I needed my sunglasses. To be fair, I ALWAYS need my sunglasses, but that's besides the point.

Gene was on top of the coop putting on the coop roof. Of course, this involves a lot of me standing on the ground, holding things and throwing things repeatedly until they actually make it up onto the roof.

Also what it entails, is me actually looking up. A lot.

Then I just caught it perfectly. The coop framing was blocking the sun, but not what was around the sun. It was a perfectly round rainbow all the way around the sun!! It's faint, and photos don't show it quite as bright as it was in real life, but it's there!

Sundog Day 1

{Maryville, Missouri 2 p.m., Sunday, April 18}

"A sun dog or sundog (scientific name parhelion, plural parhelia, from Greek parēlion, (παρήλιον), παρά(beside) + ήλιος(sun), "beside the sun"; also called a mock sun) is an atmospheric phenomenon that creates bright spots of light in the sky, often on a luminous ring or halo on either side of the sun. (formed by ice crystals)

"Sundogs may appear as a colored patch of light to the left or right of the sun, 22° distant and at the same distance above the horizon as the sun, and in ice halos. They can be seen anywhere in the world during any season, but they are not always obvious or bright. Sundogs are best seen and are most conspicuous when the sun is low."


Apparently they are quite rare, and to find one is a quite a coup.

So what kind of luck does it bring me, if I see it again the next day?

sundog Day 2

{Maryville, Missouri 12 p.m., Monday, April 19}

Powerball ticket, here I come!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

That is so neat. Plus you got a picture of it Bonus.

Kelly L said...

A rainbow on the tips of your fingers.. love it

kelly
http://www.ivebecomemymother.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails