Monday, June 15, 2009

Recipe: Easy buttery garlic potatoes

06-15-potatoes8



Years ago, my mom taught me this super easy potato recipe. It's quick, easy and yummy, and everyone in this house loves them. Even Tanner, the only person I've ever met that is "ehhh" on potatoes.

When I cook these, I don't measure anything, and never have, but I can give you estimates on what I've used.

Here's what you'll need:

06-15-potatoes1

  1. Potatoes - Approximately 1 - 1.5 fist sized potatoes per person. I have a couple extra because I put them in Gene's lunch. As you can see from mine, they are a little wrinkly. I like to use this recipe when my potatoes need to get used up! Not good enough for baking, but too good to go in the trash.
  2. Garlic Powder (I ran out tonight, time to buy more!)
  3. Butter - I use light butter, but you could use whatever you have. I would never suggest cooking with fat free butter, it separates when heated. blech
  4. Chives - I use dried ones, only because they were easy to find. Fresh would be good too!



06-15-potatoes2

First wash your potatoes well, especially if you're the wife of my husband because he asks EVERY TIME if I do. Sheesh, and I always do! Don't forget to rescue the one that keeps disappearing into the garbage disposal!

Then chop the potato in half, and then dice those into approximately 1" pieces. If you don't have one, you MUST get a Santuko knife. I have 2, a big one (around 12") and a smaller (around 9") version. Sharp and sturdy. Love!



06-15-potatoes3

Put everything into a casserole dish with a lid. If you're making a bunch, you could use a big bowl with a plate for a lid. Srsly, once you don't have a lid, you'll do whatever you gotta do. BTDT.



06-15-potatoes4

Next, add about 3 tablespoons of butter in "pats" over the top, with approximately a teaspoon of garlic powder. Mine was old so fresh I could probably use less. Fresh garlic would be yummy too. Hmm... I'll try that next time.



06-15-potatoes5

Now for the yummy colorful part, the chives. Add as much as you want. For us, that's around 1.5 tablespoons.



06-15-potatoes6

$40 a POUND!? Holy ... I just noticed that. Glad that .07 pound will last me for a year, and I bet that plastic container weighs 3 times as much as the chives. Hmm.

I bought these at Osceola cheese in Odessa, but I've seen it also in bulk in the Amish stores or whole food markets. Or, you could be a lowly soul like myself and just go to Walmart.



06-15-potatoes7

See how pretty it is. Cover with the lid, and put in the microwave for approximately 6 min. When it stops, stir it and test it to see how done they are. I cooked them 4 additional minutes.



06-15-potatoes8

All done!

That's what a steamy lens looks like. I usually serve it with beef, but they go with anything. I also think they'd be good with some fresh Parmesan cheese or just a little bit of nice cold sour cream on top.

Why did my mouth just water?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails