Monday, June 15, 2009

06-15-sink1



I'm ready to make a commitment. Yep. To a sink, but more importantly to a completely remodeled kitchen.

At the end of this month, I will have owned this house for 2 years. When I say "I" I mean that in a literal sense. I bought this house myself, the loan solely in my name, the deed in my name. Don't get me wrong, it's just as much Gene's home, as it is my home. He shells out the money for the light bill just like I do, and when taxes are due, we both say *aw crap* equally. But signing that contract was one of the prouder moments of my life. I got to prove that I needed no one in my life to do well. For me it was a defining moment where I knew that I did not have a S/O in my life because I needed one, but instead, because I wanted one. I depended on no one.

Now, having said that, I depend on Gene to help me install these new sinks. :)

Gene spent Saturday working at his mom and dad's house, helping them fix up some things. He came home pretty dog tired. On the other hand, Tanner and I wrestled with the pool all day and walked away disappointed. (it's a slow leak if that matters any). It left me itching to get some things accomplished.

It's summertime and remodeling time. Sure, you can cut tile outside in January, but I wouldn't recommend it.


06-15-sink2



Not long after we moved in, we started working on the open part of the kitchen. When this house was built, I think they intended on an eat-in kitchen, so 2 whole walls were completely empty. We decided that we'd put up cabinets and build a desk in that area. We figured with the bar, and dining room (and we always eat in the living room anyway) that 2 places was enough space to allot to eating. All our tops are salt and pepper granite and cabinets are black. Which must be popular because since we did it, everyone else seems to think they need it too!

Later, we decided finally on an island for the kitchen. It's a beautiful antique piece, that we plan on cutting to bits. I almost don't want to do it because it's so pretty. The plan is to add a prep sink and a beverage refrigerator in it. I just think it's cool to have a place *just for my diet coke* LOL.

So Gene has brought up buying a sink like 14 zillion times, and I always hate committing to it because a.) they are expensive and b.) I have to completely tear up my kitchen for at least 2 weeks before it will be done. Lord save us from each other.

So yesterday, after a particularly good week, some things came through I'd been waiting for and I was actually in the mood to get one big project started and completed, I suggested we go to St. Joe and get our sinks.

I thought he'd be elated after asking about it so many times, but his response was: "Ok, but we're only going to Lowe's, Home Depot and Menard's and that's it". Ohh.. a shot across the bow. What? You don't want to go to Michael's, Target and Joann's?? Commie pinkie MAN.

I succumbed to his wishes and off we went.

It took a couple hours, and a crapload of money, and we still don't have it all (ugh we have to buy the fancy drains to match the fancy faucets). And why do faucets cost more than my FIRST CAR?

*feeling the excitement wear off*

Eventually we settled on matchy matchy kitchen sinks and a fancy faucet to match my other fancy faucet.

06-15-sink



We got home, and took it out of the box so we could set it in place and get a "feel" for the size. ACK, it's big. But Gene talked me into it. We can actually wash a head of lettuce in there, and not just wash our hands and get a glass of water.

Jingles on the other hand, had a completely different idea.

06-15-sink3



The most expensive cat toy/box EVER.

We'll be starting in the next couple weeks. I'll warn you when we're going in, if he doesn't I don't come out alive in 5 days, send help.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails