Saturday, April 18, 2009

Project 365 - the set up

If you're coming in late on the project 365, I wanted to share with you why I post the photos the way that I do and how I've made this project work for me.

Project 365 is basically, taking one photo every single day for a year. I started my 365 on January 1, like most others in the scrapbooking world did. It kind of started when a 365 kit was released, and sold out in seconds. Ppl started talking about making their own projects and it just sort of spun out from there.

I chose to use an album from American Crafts. It's 12 x 12 D-ring. Inside, I have bought the page protectors split into six 4 x 6 slots. (horizontal). One slot, for each day.




I have created a layered image file in Paint Shop Pro. You could do the same thing in photoshop or other image editing programs - anyplace that you edit your photos. If you set it up right, you could even do something in microsoft word.

Each day (I actually do usually 4-7 days at a time), I print out the whole image file as a 4x6 photo. You could save them and upload and print from walmart or costco if you wanted. I just do it from home, because it's easy.

You could also just print out wallet sized photos to save on ink, attach to a scrap of 4 x 6 paper (great way to use up all the bits left from other pages), journal and insert also.

I use a corner rounder on each print - not required, I just like how it looks.


I use a different colored background for each month, but I do include the same two fonts (Scriptina and University Roman BT) although I really wish I had more choices, but I'll stick with those.

At the beginning of each month, I make a file that says the month and year.

I've missed maybe 4-5 days, but that was early on. Now I usually remember. Sometimes I don't take a picture that day, and I might use a back up photo. Remember, there's no rules in scrapbooking, so this is how I stay on top of it. If I miss a day, I don't sweat it.

Sometimes, to even out a page, or because I have a lot of cool pics on one day, I might use more than one image. I usually print those as full images, with some text right on top of the photo like below.


Using this method, I will use approximately 31-32 page protectors, and I will have documented an entire year. It's hard to start, but once you do, it's just habit and it's been easy to keep up.

It's also something you can start any time! You don't have to start on New Year's Day like I did. If you want it to start on an important day to you, maybe your birthday, the first day of summer, Christmas Day, or just a Tuesday!

I suggest that you do a project like this. Maybe even if it's a picture every day for a month - a small goal first. It's been fun already to pick up the album and go back and see what we've done so far this year.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails