Friday, April 17, 2009

Train Spotting

On the way home on Wednesday, we were going through parts of town, that I rarely see. I tend to be a one track sort of girl. When I get in a routine, I stick to it. Which is kind of sad because I don't get off the beaten path and see all the cool stuff that I'm missing.

Anyway, we go downtown by the old airport, and I'm snapping a few pics. There are train tracks right next to the highway and I see a cool shot of a train from an odd angle, but miss it. :( As we pass it, we see that it's carrying the bodies of new jets! Cool!

Later, while we're north of Weston on hwy 59 (which has a ton of cool things to shoot), I see a train coming. Gene plays along, he races down to the next couple intersections (the train's not going very fast) so I can get some shots as it approaches. They must have thought we were a bunch of crazies trying to commit suicide or something, sitting there waiting at the intersection for them.

train spotting


I snap pictures as they pass by. Getting a few cool shots.
Then I realize, it's the same train we'd seen a few hours earlier! What are the odds?


04-17-train5

There's the airplanes!



04-17-train2

We spend a little time, trying to get a shot of the train sharp, but the background blurred. It's called panning, and difficult to do with just a regular subject, let alone a train. It took Gene and I working together, and well, frustration won out and this was the best we got.


So we quit stalking them, and zoomed off north. We stopped at a flea market on 59 and spent about 1/2 hour there looking at dirt. Decided it was time to head home.

Hey look another train!

04-17-train3


Wait! It's the same train again!
Now on the other side of the road. I'm sure at this point, we were starting to scare them a bit. I tried to wave a couple times so they knew that we weren't nutjobs, but I don't think we succeeded.


Slowly we kept pace as we pulled into St. Joe and we said good-bye as the turned a corner under the bridges along the river.

04-17-train4


Part of me wanted to chase them a bit further as the highway winds along the river for a while, but I don't feel like Gene was wanting a restraining order on his records. :p

What a party pooper

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails